Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Vermont_US_2003

"Familiarizing the unfamiliar"
I have no ideas of what to paint before I fly over from Singapore; I thought the new environment would give me endless inspirations. I did bring along some basic material; things that many told I would not get in Johnson.
On arrival, I was amazed because Johnson does not resemble the towns and scenes I saw in those US made movies. Johnson gives the impression of a safe, quiet, slow moving town that’s absent of fast food restaurant. The locals also seem humble and friendly. Johnson City simply looks like one of that pleasant, quiet countryside in West Malaysia; a country I’m fond to stopover. The only different is it’s dry and cold here, while it’s hot and humid in Malaysia.
The tranquil landscape, mountain and river are simply pleasing to the eyes. By my second day in Johnson, I have already gone round the neighborhood. Exploring the areas becomes a daily affair as it’s my routine to go for a run every day. The more I see, the more I’m at ease; if only the hours could move slower as I truly enjoy my stay in Johnson. Up here, I simply throw myself into my arts; day, hour and date do not seem important anymore. The one matter I keep in mind is the times for the 3 meals; Jon often whines: “You just eat and do art".
The paintings for exhibit in Johnson are captured from the place I live in and from people I see and spoke to. I tried to integrate the pleasant and delightful, awful and dreadful encounters to my paintings. In short, they are my personal views and experiences; they are not any sort of criticism but rather of someone from a entirely different background, beliefs, religion, education, etc.....







“Coming to America” is about a man’s frame of mind on his lone trip to an unfamiliar ground. 25 hours flight among unfamiliar faces and at a foreign airport among foreigners; the trip is long, is unnerving and it is also exciting........


In “I left my swimming trunk and goggles at home” I tried to capture a traveler’s feeling of frustration and loss while he tried to adapt to a new environment......




“I told her, Singapore is not part of China” is about interaction and making friends or be oblivious to all......







“Landscape” tells of my admiration towards the awesome mountains and rivers in Johnson......






“Graceful Lot” is about my views of the natural world and its inhabitants. I often see farm animals moving gracefully in the scenic pasture while I was running along the trail in the countryside in daylight or amid dim surrounding, in calm or disturbed mind. These animals are forever so relax and unperturbed......

“Misfit” I was confronted by angry dogs during one of my run in the woods. Initially, I think the owner was been irresponsible for not lashing up their dogs. On 2nd thoughts, these dogs were only trying to drive out the intruder with their threatening barks. I have trespass their territory; I am the intruder at this part of the world........



In “Familiarizing the unfamiliar”, I tried to inaugurate the experience from an incident, that reminded me of the important of staying calm, as panic and anxiety would often affect our judgment......






“One eclipse night” is about the bliss and sharing with friends during the days in Vermont. Asian artists from Thailand, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore would often gathered on the porch at the entrance of Wolf Kahn studios 2 to 3 times per week if the weather was good. We would sing, dance, played music and gulped down beers and wines. In one of those nights, though it was freezing cold but our moods were high; we chatted and waited anxiously amid songs and drinks to witness the eclipse.......



No comments:

Post a Comment